The last time we were at North Star Cafe at Easton, we got to talking with the manager about how good the herb aioli on the fish sandwich is. He was happy to divulge the ingredients.
Guessing at the measurements, here’s how I made it:
- About two cups of Hellman’s mayo
- Juice from two lemons
- 1 anchovy fillet pulverized with the back of a fork
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
I went generous on the herbs. You want the aioli to be very chunky. The anise flavor of the tarragon is the dominant flavor and goes well with fish.
I made it this past weekend to go on broiled salmon.
But then I went to make a turkey sandwich with tomato and avocado on sourdough for lunch, and this aioli was just sitting in the fridge.
Turns out it works as a flavored mayo too!
And here it is with the salmon…